Monday, March 5, 2012

Severe Weather and the "Barter and Trade" System


The snow has finally fallen in northern Mn, and things are picking up in Brimson. The phone at Hugo's, the little local bar, is ringing off the hook--Sledders wanting to know if it's snowing here so they can hit the trails. For a while I thought that spring would be starting in February, but, as it turns out, it will be delayed.


The lack of snow this winter should have interesting ramifications. Most recently, we had a snowstorm that dumped about 8-12 inches on us. Further south states experienced some snow as well, and a flurry of rubble. Apparently the storm systems that swept across the northern U.S. have caused an outbreak of tornadoes in the south. I spent much of this past week at the hospital visiting Calvin (Don't panic. He's alright, folks.) and when we were hit with the storm the news was flooding with footage of towns reduced to rubble.

MPR has covered a few topics on the affects of the lack of snow in MN this year including a decrease in tourism, and a higher risk of wildfires. Following a drop in tourism, small businesses closer to home are also being affected by the lack of snow.Until the recent storm (a review of the storm by a fellow blogger), small-town establishments like Hugo's were taking a blow. As Gary and Jodi (Hugo's owners) explained to me earlier this winter, their bar's primary customers are the locals. In the winter people tend to stay home more often, so their business relies on the snowmobilers to make up the difference. They've been trying to make up for the lack of snowmobilers this year by hosting more events and classes. So far there has been a good turn out, and the locals are grateful for having an excuse to get out of their houses for some mingling and fun.

I'm particularly interested in how the lack of snow will affect the risk of wildfires in our area. Recently I've signed up to become a volunteer Firefighter/EMS for the Brimson township and surrounding areas. It could turn out to be a busy first year for me.

Additionally, I've been on the search for a job. Right now I'm working at Petco part time, and I have an interview this Tuesday for another part time gig. If all goes well I will be working about 32 hours a week with some FF/EMS and Election Judging on the side. I've decided to keep my job below the 40 hr. mark so that I have time to stay at home with the dogs and tend to chores around the cabin.

Aside from that, my experience living in Brimson has been great. Before moving here we lived in a small area out side of Two Harbors called Clover Valley. It was a nice area, but there wasn't any real sense of community. I've met a lot of great people with real interests out here in the boonies, and I think it's a good fit for the type of lifestyle that I would like to live. One of my favorite things about this area and its locals is the 'barter and trade' system that everyone has adopted. Since moving here I've become good friends with a few people, and have a couple of jobs lined up:

Cleaning Toni and Dave's chimney in exchange for a few dozen eggs.

Washing Crystal and JT's dog for a couple bottles of homemade wine.

For the Ringers-- Trimming their cat's nails for some blueberries.

Hugo's is also holding a garden supply/seed exchange soon. You bring some starter plants, seeds, and unwanted garden items in exchange for something that you need for this spring.

I am a firm believer in barter and trade, so I appreciate a community that adopts the system. There's a reason currency exists, but the more I have to deal with money the more I hate it. That's just my personal opinion, anyway.



Last of all, I know I've been a complete failure at posting some pictures. Soon, my friends, very soon--Scout's honor.

Meanwhile, I've provided a couple of photos I took from the internet to tide you over.
The Duluth Lift Bridge in the winter (top). And a gem that I found-- an older picture of the bar that someone scanned and posted online (middle).

No comments:

Post a Comment